Federal Grants for Seniors Who Need Roof Repair

You are a senior citizen and your roof is leaking or has been damaged by a storm. You are unable to pay for repairs. What do you do and where do you turn? Perhaps your dear relative, Uncle Sam, can come to the rescue.

The federal government has provided a number of grant programs to help low income senior citizens make roof repairs so they can continue to live in their homes. Consider these programs from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the U.S. Department of Energy.

USDA Very Low Income Housing Repair Loans and Grants

According to this federal program, if you are a senior citizen over 62 years old, you can apply for loans and grants to make roof and other repairs to your home. Loan amounts can go up to $20,000 while grants are capped at $7,500. (A loan must be repaid; a grant does not.)

In order to be eligible for such grants, you must have a qualifying low income, live in the property you are fixing, and make only repairs that are required to make the building safe to live in. You are also not allowed to sell the property for up to three years after the repairs or else the grant monies can be re-claimed by the government.

In Texas, you can find more information by contacting the USDA Rural Development main office at (254) 742-9700. In the McKinney/ Plano area, you can call (972) 542-0081. (

HOME Investment Partnerships Program

Offered through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, this program is administered by the Texas Department of Housing and Consumer Affairs (TDHCA) at the state level. Under it, you can apply for up to $85,000 in grant money that can be used to replace your entire home, if eligible. Lesser amounts are available to repair or replace your roof. Senior citizens can apply, as well as people with disabilities, and others who meet the income eligibility requirements.

Also, the monies under this program can be used for other repairs including electrical and plumbing problems. To apply contact the Texas Department of Housing and Consumer Affairs at 800-525-0657 or visit their website at In McKinney, call (972) 547-7519) or visit them at 222 N. Tennessee.

The U.S. Department of Energy Weatherization Assistance Program

This program is also overseen by the TDHCA at the state level. While its major thrust is to improve home efficiency through weatherization improvements, it also includes a component for minor repairs in the course of completing the weatherization. Priority is given to senior citizens, the disabled and families with young children. Contact TDHCA at the phone number above, or visit their website at

So, while a leaky or damaged roof is a major concern for you, relief is available in the form of funding from different sources. Do not feel like you are alone, and do not be afraid to ask for help.

Contact Info:

Please get in touch with us today for a free quote:
Rainbow Roofing and Remodeling
Email: [email protected]
Address: 3277 County Road 325
McKinney TX, 75069
Phone: 972-562-9665

Find us on Google+
Find us on Facebook
Find us on Twitter

Click here for Testimonials
Click here for Resources

Site by Dallas SEO Team


No Comments
Add Comment