How To Spot Hail Damage On Your Roof
If you own a house, it’s critical to know how to spot hail damage on your roof.
Heavy storms can leave more destruction behind than just fallen tree limbs and power outages. Storms that bring hail pose a serious threat to your roof.
Unchecked roof damage from hail can lead to costly repairs and in some cases, the need for a total roof replacement.
Learn how to spot hail damage and how much hail damage can cause major issues.
Before You Check the Roof
There are several tell-tale signs that your roof could have hail damage.
Once it’s safe to go outside after the storm, check for dents in your gutters, downspouts, siding, and air conditioning units.
If the hail was large enough to cause damage to these, you’ll likely be looking at damage on your roof as well.
Damaged Shingles From Hail
What does hail damage look like on a roof?
The damage hail can do to shingles varies. It could be easily noticeable, or the damage could be difficult to distinguish from the untrained eye.
Check your shingles for granules that have been knocked off. Even if the area is small, the integrity of the shingle has been compromised in the hail storm and needs to be replaced to prevent leaks.
You may also notice cracked shingles that should be replaced as soon as possible.
Other Roofing Types
Shingles are not the only available material for roofing.
Some roofs are made of clay or slate.
For these types of roofs, you’ll want to check for cracks, holes, and gouges on the surface.
Metal roofing is one of the easiest types of roofs to spot hail damage. Check for the same damage on metal roofing that you did your gutters, siding, and downspouts. Dents and dings in the metal roof are an indication that hail damage occurred.
If you spot any of these on your roof, you’ll want to contact us and we’ll help you file an insurance claim as soon as possible.
Repair or Replace
How much hail damage is needed before you need to replace your roof?
This depends entirely on a few things, such as the size of the hail and how severe the damage is.
Smaller hail that just causes minimal damage will probably just require repairs to the damaged shingles.
Larger hail that has caused roof wide damage may warrant a complete roof replacement.
The good news is, your insurance will likely cover the repairs necessary or replace your roof entirely, if necessary.
Want A Professional Roof Inspection For Free?
- Phone Number*
- Which Service Are You Interested In?
Which Service Are You Interested In?Emergency TarpingWindowsPaintingSidingGuttersRoofing
- If you are worried about hail damage to your roof, the first step you should take is to check for damage in the surrounding area.
- Some of the more noticeable areas of damage that could also indicate damage to your roof are your gutters, downspouts, siding, and air conditioning units.
- If you notice damage to these, you’ll want to check your roof over for damage as well.
- For shingles, check for loose or missing granules.
- Even small spots of missing granules need to be repaired!
- Clay and slate roofs will have cracks and holes from hail if there is damage.
- Metal roofing, much like your gutters and downspouts will have dents and dings.
- The best course of action is to contact us at Storm Guard if you suspect damage so you can have it professionally inspected and repaired.